Hi, I'm Heather Skelly and I'm a certified professional dog trainer with an honors degree from Animal Behavior College. I'm also a Canine Good Citizen licensed instructor and evaluator and a Pet Dog Ambassador instructor and evaluator. I'm a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers and the Pet Professional Guild.
Before we decide to work together, it's important to know that the days of the whole "alpha" theory are over. The very scientist that studied this theory in wolves and applied it to dogs has since admitted that it's not something that dogs share with wolves. There is no attempt on your dog's part to become the alpha of your family. And there is certainly no need for you to try and dominate your dog. Furthermore, unlike wolves, dogs are not pack animals. Yes, they will look to you for food, fun, and other resources, but you trying to be leader of the pack is fruitless. If you'd like to read more about this, see this wonderful article. So at no time will I try and dominate your dog or encourage you to do the same. And trust me, dogs just aren't smart enough to sit back and decide on ways they can become the head of the household. If they could, they would have taken over the world by now.
Why should you work with me?
- I make training fun
- I use positive reinforcement training to get the best results from you and your pup
- I'm willing to step out of the box to help you resolve your dog's training needs
- I'm available to you for the life of your dog
- I'm certified so my training knowledge has been assessed
- I attend workshops and webinars every year to make sure I'm using the most modern training techniques
- I love seeing dogs and puppies become thriving family companions for life